Based on Aldous Huxley's THE DEVILS OF LOUDUN, Ken Russell's THE DEVILS is simply a landmark of cinema. It’s based on historical events surrounding Urbain Grandier (played here by Oliver Reed), a 17th century priest who was executed after being accused of sending demonic spirits to possess a convent where one of the nuns (Vanessa Redgrave) cannot control her sexual attraction to him. A story of sexual repression and religious fanaticism, THE DEVILS was heavily edited before its release in both the UK and US due to graphic scenes which mixed sex and violence with both common Christian rituals and religious objects.
11 PRINCIPLES of THELEMITES
1. I know that exploring and expressing myself is my right and my purpose.
2. I know that every single other being also has the same right and purpose to explore and express their natures.
3. I accept all people no matter what they look like or believe, and I accept all moments no matter if they are good or bad.
4. I am always growing, always searching and striving ever to more in all things.
5. I look at the difficult things in life as my teachers that help me grow, and I embrace them.
6. I never forget that being alive and being aware is a mysterious blessing that always deserves gratitude and joy.
7. I enjoy the beauty in everyone and everything else, and I help to bring more beauty to the world.
8. I seek truth: I think for myself, I am honest with myself and others, and I question myself and others.
9. I explore and develop my creativity in all aspects of life, and I help others to do the same.
10. I am connected with everything in the universe, so I live in harmony with other people, animals, plants, and all other things on the earth and in the whole cosmos.
11. I laugh: I enjoy all parts of the world, and I do not take myself too seriously.
19/ 11-principles-of-thelemites /
|Salt (base matter)
Sulfur (omnipresent spirit of life)
Mercury (fluid connection between the High and the Low)
Monas Hieroglyphica John Dee
|Gold dominated by Sol ☉ ☼ ( )
Silver dominated by Luna ☽ ( )
Copper dominated by Venus ♀ (also: )
Iron dominated by Mars ♂ ( )
Tin dominated by Jupiter ♃ ( )
Mercury (quicksilver) dominated by Mercury ☿ ( )
Lead dominated by Saturn ♄ ( )
Platinum ☽ ☉
|Calcination (Aries )
Congelation (Taurus )
Fixation (Gemini )
Dissolution (Cancer )
Digestion (Leo )
Distillation (Virgo )
Sublimation (Libra )
Separation (Scorpio )
Incineration (Sagittarius )
Multiplication (Aquarius )
Projection (Pisces )
|Blue vitriol is copper(II) sulfate pentahydrate
Green vitriol is iron(II) sulfate heptahydrate
Oil of vitriol is sulfuric acid
Red vitriol is cobalt(II) sulfate heptahydrate
Roman vitriol is copper(II) sulfate pentahydrate
Spirit of vitriol is sulfuric acid
Sweet oil of vitriol is diethyl ether (not a sulfate)
Vitriol with no further qualification often means sulfuric acid
Vitriol of Mars is iron(III) sulfate
White vitriol is zinc sulfate heptahydrate